Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Book Study: Phillipians

We will start our study with the book of Phillipians on Feb 4. Section to read and comment on will be: ch.1:1-11. As you read over this, post your comments and insights here.

10 comments:

  1. By your command fearless facilitator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 1:1, what does Paul mean when he says he and Timothy are "slaves"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my NIV version it says they are "servants" of Christ, or wanting to give their lives totally to Him.

      Delete
    2. My version says slaves. The dictionary defines slave as "One bound in servitude to a person or household as an instrument of labor. One who is submissive or subject to a specified person or influence." People can be "slaves" to any number of things - to their jobs, to "getting ahead", to keeping up with the Jones', drugs, alcohol, you name it. The definition gives a whole new way of looking at the phrase "a slave to fashion". However, Paul and Timothy have the best person for whom to be an instrument of labor, submissive to, and subject to -- the LORD JESUS CHRIST. To be a "perfect" slave is impossible for us - we are too willful. But as we deliberately practice turning our will over to HIM every day we inch closer to HIM and what HE wants us to become.

      Delete
  3. Slave to me implies more...that I don't have a choice. Maybe I did in the beginning, when I was deciding which path I would take. I only had two choices; would I be owned by Satan or would I be owned by my creator? With that settled, I became enslaved to my owner, my master, my creator. And what does that mean? My will no longer matters; my purpose is to fulfill HIS will, to serve him without questioning. I may not be very good at it, but that's my purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I think of slave it brings to mind the verse in Ps 123:2 "We keep looking to the Lord our God for His mercy, just as servants (but I think slave could be work here as well)keep their eyes on their master, as a slave girl watches her mistress for the slightest signal." If I can keep this perspective moment by moment then I am walking in the light God sheds on the path He wants me to walk and I don't stray as easily. Not looking to the right or left but focusing on Jesus the Author and Finisher of my faith, not allowing circumstances to break my focus on the One I am serving. I wish I could say I do this all the time but "not" however I believe this is the way to I should live each moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My version says bond servants. I looked it up in the Greek lexicon, and the word is "doulos." Here is the definition:

    1) a slave, bondman, man of servile condition
    a) a slave
    b) metaph., one who gives himself up to another's will those whose service is used by Christ in extending and
    advancing his cause among men.

    I like the metaphor. Our free will makes it necessary that we willingly give up our own will, which then frees us to be used by God to advance His cause. Good stuff.

    c) devoted to another to the disregard of one's own interests

    2) a servant, attendant

    ReplyDelete
  6. In your bible readings that were by Paul, what were some evidences of Paul's "slave" status?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romans Chapter six, verses 16-18 Paul is comparing being slaves to sin verses being slaves to rightousness. Being slaves to sin leads to death and being slaves to obediance leads to righteousness.
      As slaves to Christ, we are now set free from sin.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete